POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : height field object of new type : Re: height field object of new type Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height field object of new type
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Aug 2000 17:09:31
Message: <39A983CE.351F4573@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <8F9DE3567seed7@204.213.191.228>, ing### [at] homenl (ingo)
> wrote:
>
> > How different would it be from the "i_dat3d" library with data_2d_1 or
> > data_2d_3, if at all ?
>
> There would be very little difference...actually, I think this and other
> 3D voxel formats would be useful additions to the readable file formats.
> If they could be used in pigments, it would eliminate the need for
> specialized isosurface functions and provide more flexible textureing
> options.

If i understand things right they can be used in pigments although i never tried
it.

BTW, what's the difference between the 'i_dat3d' stuff and a density_file /
image_map pigment function except the syntax ? maybe speed ? I just saw that you
can also use df3 files for those functions and found everything quite
irritating.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>